Federal Tort Claims Act

If you have been injured on government property or by a government employee, the legal process for monetary compensation will be different than other types of injury claims. It is important that your attorney is familiar with the Federal Tort Claims Act for the success of your case.

Our firm handles all aspects of injury law. The earlier you contact us, the faster we can get started on your case.

Free Consultation

Call: 856-942-1218

Law Offices of Anthony J. Leonard, LLC.
New Jersey Association for Justice Regular Member Logo
The National Top 100 Trial Lawyers
Million Dollar Advocates Forum Member Logo
Super Lawyers Badge
Lead Counsel Verified

The Federal Tort Claims Act is intended to provide monetary compensation for injury, property loss, or death caused by the wrongful act or omission of any employee of the Government. In general, these are the limitations for Federal Tort Claims Act claims:

  • Only federal employees can be sued under the FTCA, not independent contractors hired by the federal government.
  • The negligent or wrongful conduct must have been done within the scope of the defendant’s employment.
  • Only claims of negligence, as opposed to intentional misconduct, are allowed.

The claim must be based on the law of the state in which the misconduct occurred. With a claim against a Federal government entity, the potential plaintiff has two years to file a claim. It is important to contact your attorney immediately so he or she can begin working on your case. Some examples of cases that would be guided by the FTCA include an injury at a post office or a car accident with an FBI agent.

If you have been injured while on government property or by a government employee, contact our Federal Tort Claims Act attorneys today for a free consultation.

Client Testimonials

Timing is critical for your case. Call us today for a free case evaluation.

Contact Us